EpicMix is up and running which means there are plenty of questions, concerns, and queries relating to the new online and mobile application that helps you track the days and vertical feet skied. To get the most out of this new technology, and make the activation process streamlined, use these top 8 tips. (Have more questions? See the EpicMix FAQ.)
1. Wear your pass in the right location. The farther away you move your ski pass from the center of your torso, the less accurate the reading will be by the scanners. Don't stick the pass in your wallet, avoid carrying electronic or RFID devices near your pass, and make it easy for the pass scanners.
If your runs are still not being recorded, your pass may have a damaged RF tag. You can pick a new pass up from any of the pass offices at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Heavenly, or Keystone.
2. Login/activate correctly. To activate your EpicMix account correctly and to login, simply select "Start Now" from epicmix.com. You'll see an option to enter in your pass number, your last name and the zip code from where you purchased your pass.
If you have ever logged into a Vail Resorts website or snow.com before, you already have an account and need to go to the "login" button.
If you still have trouble logging in, call the Vail Resorts EpicMix hotline at 800-743-0242.
3. Edit your stats. Think your vertical feet skied or lifts ridden is incorrect? Fix it. Go to the vertical feet tracker (accessed easily from your Dashboard), click on the specific day, go to "view details" and edit your stats on that screen.
If your stats weren't captured at all, let us know. As EpicMix is in Beta right now, this may happen from time to time. While your lifts ridden will be tracked, your vertical may be off. The only data being entered in right now is from the chairlifts you ride - so where you are on the mountain will not be tracked. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll work with you to get your data corrected.
4. Compare yourself to the Leaderboard. Each night at midnight the EpicMix Leaderboard is updated tallying everyone's vertical feet skied, pins earned, days skied, and points earned. Check out how you are doing compared to everyone else by looking at your ranking and filtering by time and mountain. Coming in early 2011, a leaderboard of all your Facebook friends will be added, allowing you to see how you stack up against your online associates.
5. Connect with friends and family. By selecting the "public social" option for EpicMix and connecting your Facebook and Twitter accounts, you'll be able to see what your friends and family have been up to on the hill. We have been contacted by people saying they are having issues connecting to Twitter - be sure to keep trying. Coming in early 2011, you'll be able to add up to eight family members to your account to see their dashboard. Each person can only be a member of one family.
6. Give feedback. Like how EpicMix is working? Having issues? Let us know. As with any new product, Vail Resorts is testing and modifying daily to ensure EpicMix is the best it can be. Bear with us as we work out the kinks and let us know what you'd like to see. Send an email to email@example.com to do so.
7. Stay tuned. More functionality is coming soon including the Facebook friends Leaderboard, the iPhone and Droid apps, and the EpicMix kids section.
In the EpicMix kids section, children under 13 years old will be able to login, and see their stats. Kids will not be able to connect to Facebook however, as Facebook is only available for users 13 years old and up.
8. Explore! There is no better way to test EpicMix out and see how it works than to ski or ride your heart out. Check out different areas of the mountain than you normally would, lap a few lifts, ski with friends, and push your limits. You'll see all of it captured -- and rewarded with pins -- on EpicMix.com.